Why would an orthodontist tell me I can’t afford lingual braces?
What should I do about an orthodontist who told me that I can’t afford lingual braces? We were not discussing my budget at all. It was just a comparison of clear braces or lingual braces. I have dental insurance and an above average income. This was actually a
Dakota – Without speaking with your orthodontist, we can’t say why she might think that lingual braces aren’t affordable for you. Not all orthodontists offer lingual braces. If you insist on them from an orthodontist who doesn’t regularly place them, you might not get the results you expect.
How Do Lingual Braces Compare with Invisalign and Clear Braces?
Other than the fact that lingual braces can’t be seen by others, we hope you understand how they will differ from wearing clear braces or Invisalign.
- They are bonded to the back of your teeth. But they can be placed in as little as 30 minutes.
- The brackets on today’s lingual braces are small and comfortable.
- Self-litigating lingual braces can align your smile faster and more precisely than traditional braces.
- If you receive self-litigating braces, there are fewer appointments to change the archwire than with traditional braces. Invisalign doesn’t require any wire changing at all. Every two weeks, you will put on a new set of aligners.
- It takes a little time to adjust to speaking with lingual braces
becauseyour tongue naturally moves toward the back of your teeth. But the adjustment period should be progressive.
- You need to be diligent about maintaining good oral hygiene, as with any braces.
Options for Affordable Braces Should Be Explained
We suggest that you get a second opinion from a skilled orthodontist. Remember that not all orthodontists offer lingual braces. Your options should be thoroughly explained, including the cost. Although an orthodontist can provide you with information on how braces can be made affordable for you, he or she should not automatically assume that you can’t afford a certain treatment.
We hope you enjoy the process of aligning your teeth and the beautiful results it can give.
This post is sponsored by the Akron, Canton, and Garfield Heights dentists of Angel Dental Care.