I am at the end of my Invisalign treatment and have to move because of a job change. I only have one more set of aligners necessary. Will my dentist give them to me or will I need to find another Invisalign dentist to get those?
During any type of orthodontic treatment, it is usually important to have dental supervision. This is because our teeth don’t always “follow directions” and go along with the treatment plan cooperatively. Some examples of that would be when they don’t turn properly or if you need some extra space made by shaving the sides of some teeth. However, where you are in the treatment is different. In all honesty, your dentist shouldn’t have a problem just giving you those last pair of Invisalign aligners to take with you. I don’t even think you will need another Invisalign dentist.
However, let’s say you were at the beginning or middle of your treatment. You wouldn’t have to start over with another dentist. Your current dentist is ethically obligated to transfer all your information and records, including all diagnostics so you can take up right where you left off.
Your bigger issue is going to be a retainer.
How to Use Your Invisalign Aligners as a Retainer
If you’re careful with them, you can use your last pair of aligners as a retainer. Here is a systematic way to do that:
- Wear them all the time for about about a month.
- When that is done you can start to wear them only at night for 1-2 months
- After that, try every other night and see if that works. You will be able to tell if it doesn’t because it will be a little harder to put the aligners back in. If that happens it means your teeth have shifted. In that case, go back to wearing the retainers every night. If they haven’t shifted, you can move onto the next step.
- If your teeth are stable, try every few nights, making sure you check for shifting.
- From there, you can move to once a week, then not wearing them at all.
Teeth Whitening with Invisalign
Another bonus with Invisalign is your aligners can double as teeth whitening trays. Ask your dentist to provide you with some whitening gel to wear in your aligners and you can knock two procedures out at once.
This blog is brought to you by the Cleveland Dentists at Angel Dental Care.