It used to be that adults who wanted to straighten their teeth were stuck with traditional braces loaded with metal wires and brackets. Fortunately, that is no longer the case. Advancements in dentistry and orthodontics have brought Invisalign.
Utilizing computer technology, your treatment plan will be precisely laid out. Clear aligners will be custom designed for you. Not only do they work in less than half the time of traditional braces, but they’re much more comfortable and truly are invisible, even at a conversational distance.
How Does Invisalign Work?
Treatment is usually completed somewhere between six months and a year, depending on the severity of your case. Customized aligners will be crafted by a computer for you to use in two-week increments. At first, you’ll notice they don’t fit quite right. Within just a couple of days, they’ll feel like they fit. That’s because your teeth will have shifted into their new position. At the end of two weeks, you’ll begin the process again, switching aligners every two weeks, which gently repositions your teeth until the treatment is complete.
Advantages of Invisalign
- You can eat and clean your teeth normally. Simply take out your aligners to eat, then brush and floss your teeth as you normally would.
- They work much faster than traditional braces.
- They truly are invisible. No one will know you’re undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Disadvantages of Invisalign
- It requires patient compliance to work. Unlike braces, there’s nothing forcing you to wear the aligners. If you want the treatment to work, you have to wear the aligners.
- It is a little more expensive than traditional braces.
If you’d like to know if you’re a candidate for Invisalign, you may call our office for a complimentary consultation or, if you prefer, you may click here to request an appointment online.